Expressive Art & Design
This area of learning is divided into 2 areas:
- Exploring and using media and materials
- Being imaginative
At OEYC your child will be learning to:
- Join in with dancing and ring games
- Move to music
- Play simple musical instruments and follow rhythms
- Explore paints and make their own pictures
- Make models from a wide range of toys and “junk”
- Role play familiar scenes – in the home corner, in the “baby clinic”, at the builders
- Make up stories as part of their play – on their own and with others
How can parents and carers help?
- Painting, drawing, colouring just for fun. Do not expect your child to draw or paint anything recognisable at first. The fun is in the creation, not in the end product.
- Encourage your child to make models using construction items (duplo, stickle bricks etc), but also from old cereal and egg boxes.
- Encourage your child to play with empty boxes – these are often as much fun as the item that was inside them.
- Allow your child to develop their imagination. An old sheet over a table or pegged up outside can make a brilliant den and will give hours of fun.
- Save old saucepans, tins and allow your child to make music. Sing along to nursery rhymes and favourite “chart” songs
- Develop your child’s imagination. Act out stories; take part in role play with them by playing shops, schools, teddy bear picnics. Try and collect a few dressing-up clothes, old t.shirts, skirts, shoes and scarves have many possibilities.
- If you are anxious about your child spoiling their clothes dress them in old ones so they can really have lots of fun without being worried.