This area of learning is divided into 3 areas:
- People and Communities
- The World
At OEYC your child will be learning to:
- Show an interest in the adults around them and what they do
- Talk about their family and times that are special to them
- Talk about what makes them special and unique
- Show an interest in plants and animals and begin to talk about caring for living things
- Begin to notice changes and talk about them e.g. exploring how ice melts or what happens to the cake mixture when it goes into the oven
- Use toys that move and can be controlled
- Use appropriate technology to access simple game
How can parents and carers help?
- Get out and about in all weathers. Talk about what is happening in the world all around you. Notice traffic, street signs, changes in the seasons.
- Compare old and new things with your child. Give them an awareness that ‘in the olden times’ people did not have washing machines, vacuum cleaners, televisions.
- Give your child a sense of your family and relations.
- Explain that life is very different for people in different parts of the world. The weather is different, lifestyles are different, homes are different.
- Develop in your child a respect for different cultures and religions. Explain that our world is a wonderful place to live because everyone has the right to follow their own beliefs and way of life.
- Develop problem solving skills in your child. It is often quicker and easier to do things for them but your child will not grow into an independent person if they don’t learn to solve problems, try things out for themselves, make mistakes and learn to persevere.
- If you have a computer, laptop, iPad allow your child to play appropriate games, but also allow them to operate simple equipment (hand mixers, electric toothbrushes, CD players) under your watchful eye.